Sunday, January 25, 2009

Graf #6

I'm glad that I had the opportunity to read all of those past projects. Some were more interesting to me than others, but they all helped me kind of wrap my brain around this. I decided to pick something that I've always wanted to learn more about and something that relates to my line of work. I plan on doing my Isearch on making liquor, grain alcohol, and/or flavored spirits. I've had a lot of marketable ideas for these types of products but never had the knowledge I needed to actually consider an attempt at creating any of them. I've seen a lot of stills and some newer emerging technology that I've heard about sounds like it could even be used at home. So, bottoms up, here's to my new Isearch topic:


Making Liquor, grain alcohol, and/or flavored spirits!


What do you want to write about? Making Liquor, grain alcohol, and/or flavored spirits!


What do you want to find out about your topic? I want to know from soup to nuts how to make liquor, grain alcohol, and/or flavored spirits. If I had to narrow this down I'd want to know more about Vodka and flavored liquors specifically.


What are your questions about the topic?
1. What ingredients are typically used for production?
2. What equipment can be used in manufacturing?
3. What are the most common steps taken to make the product?


How does it connect to your life?
My career in the Food & Beverage industry mixed with my natural creativity has helped me put together a lot of interesting and potentially marketable ideas based on my observations of recent trends in the industry. Gathering this information could help me develop a strong interest into a potentially viable project.


Give three reasons you like the topic
1. It might make me money.
2. It's directly related to my field.
3. Who doesn't want to learn more about booze?


Give three ways your life might change if you answer your questions
1. I might make more money.
2. I might have a great new sales pitch.
3. I could end up with a fun small business.

3 comments:

  1. Topic might work, but the questions right now seem pretty much pointing toward a straight old-fashioned research paper on distillation and manufacture of flavored spirits. It's the other end that has isearch potential--business, new ideas, marketing, the MC angles. So, another 'shot' here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a good grip on marketing and I the ideas I have are still right now undiscovered but signs of emergence are out there (meat, cheese, and other unusual pairings in clear liquors and or cream based cordials) It probably sounds like a joke but people are already experimenting I saw a Bacon infused Bourbon a few months ago. These areas reflect those where I think I have the most opportunity to pick up a new trick, of course there are other topics or spins I could work with if I need to.

    How about a tweak to the questions?

    I-search worksheet V2:
    What do you want to write about? Production techniques and equipment types used for fabricating and then flavoring grain alcohol.

    What do you want to find out about your topic? I would like to know what equipment is necessary, how to use the equipment, and what concentrates characteristics are necessary for optimal flavor infusion.

    What are your questions about the topic?
    1. What common practices are used for clarifying concentrated flavorings?
    2. What types of equipment are used and what are the advantages of each type?
    3. What methods and/or techniques are used with each equipment type to produce various results?
    How does it connect to your life?
    My career in the Food & Beverage industry mixed with my focused creativity has helped me put together a mix of interesting and potentially marketable ideas based on my observations of recent trends in the industry. Gathering this information could help me develop a strong interest into a potentially viable project.
    Give three reasons you like the topic
    1. I have a genuine interest in the topic.
    2. This has opportunity to become a next new step in the beverage industry.
    3. If successful it would add another small scale plant opportunity to the state.
    Give three ways your life might change if you answer your questions
    1. Gaining the knowledge I need to make this possible may be the push I need to start a small side business.
    2. The more I understand this process and the tools it requires the better prepared I will be for possible pitches, development of ROI's, and discussion with potential buyers and/or manufacturers.
    3. Should I proceed and attempt to see this through to fruition I will be able to make competent equipment buying decisions based on facts applicable to size and estimated production for any given proposed facility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the tweak.

    I noticed a marijuana-flavor when I guick-googled the topic!

    ReplyDelete