Sunday, March 8, 2009

I-search Background

I guess my infatuation with the beverage industry started about 10 years ago when I started slinging booze professionally. I spent years experimenting with drink recipes, different preparations methods, and pairings. I even built my own full bar in my basement complete with over 100 different liquors and draft beer. Being young and in love with the creature made it easy to experiment with drink recipes and new types of tastes. Every time a new liquor came out I had to get my hands on it (this is still true) so that I could try it out and begin to find ways of serving it best as I saw it. I was lucky to have started in the beverage racket when I did, I saw the explosion of flavors and new preparation methods really take off. When I first started bar tending the only flavored alcohol that anyone knew of was Absolut Citron. Today there are hundreds of flavored spirits in every variety from Bourbon to Tequila. I've stayed close to the heart of the beverage industry over the years. I've closely monitored every beverage magazine in the US for the last decade, taking note of every change that shows promise. I've had the advantage of attending dozens of beverage conventions and shows over the years and I've worked first hand with all of the most advanced technological changes the industry has made. About 5 years ago I predicted Meat and/or meal flavored liquors would hit the industry in about 10 years. Believing still that I am right, I'd like to capitalize on this forecast and ride the wave. With the rest of this essay I hope to answer the questions I have yet to answer, to learn the methods required to produce flavored alcohol, and to determine what types of equipment are necessary for production.

1 comment:

  1. Last sentence might lead next section, instead of ending this one.

    I want to see all three of the first three sections before I sign off, but for now, I have no other suggestions on this.

    ReplyDelete